Our history In the summer of 1885, Patrick Collins opened "...a fine marine boarding villa, convenient to the Iron Door and the big hotels, and a first class establishment" on Decatur Street. By 1900, Collins Cafe was advertising its fine old whiskies, fresh seafoods, Milwaukee beers and "neatly appointed rooms for ladies." Andrew Zillinger, chief steward of the Merion Cricket Club on Philadelphia's Main Line, purchased the inn in 1906 and changed its name to The Merion. Several members of the club provided financial backing for the purchase to assure themselves a quiet oasis in Cape May with the same high standards they had come to expect. Rooms on the second floor were converted to private dining rooms and an outdoor beer garden was added (with a separate entrance for ladies). Throughout the 20th century, The Merion Inn has retained the charm and the graciousness of the Victorian era. The Merion Inn's traditional regional seafood specialties, sizzling steaks, classic cocktails, and fabulous Cape May nightlife have kept generations of locals and visitors alike returning again and again. The best steaks, seafood, and, nightlife Cape May New Jersey has to offer are at The Merion Inn! Enjoy a cocktail and listen to live music at our beautiful turn-of-the-century bar -- the oldest in Cape May! We look forward to serving you in keeping with the tradition of hospitality and excellence begun over a century ago. The Merion Inn’s historic past as a first class establishment endures to this day!